Monday, April 6, 2015

That awkward encounter at the gas station...

Hello family!
So yes, I feel like as a missionary I am constantly running into random people who do weird things in this world. Especially this week considering we were trying to apply the tactic of talking to everyone! We wanted to get 100 IO's but fell a little short of our goal... bummer! But we did see some wonderful miracles!
But to the gas station... I am out filling the car and my companions are out there learning how to do it so that they know.. they get back in the car while I finish the rest of it. Anyways this Hispanic guy happens to be at the pump across from us so he says hello, I say hello back and then ask him if he speaks Spanish. He then proceeds to come across the little curb thing inbetween the pumps, continues to talk to me, takes my hand and as we are shaking hands pulls me in to kiss me on the cheek. I was a little taken a back but just at this point whatever. So I continue talking to him, realize it is someone we have met before and I continue to invite him to watch the HeLives video on Mormon.org. He was super nice. Anyways at this point when my companions are watching from the car they were like 'if he did anything more we were going to get out of the car and save you!' so he proceeds to rub my back a little do that weird grab your arm thing. haha. So our greenie gets out of the car and comes over and he then shakes her hand and kisses her on the cheek. Hermana Earl just decided to stay on the opposite side of the car to be safe from kisses. haha. (although she did make eye contact with the other guy at the other pump who proceeded to give her a weird look and she just made that 'I don't understand what's happening either' shrug). It was hilarious. Our poor greenie was a little mortified though. =) What can I say... welcomed her to the field real good!

This week was a little chaotic with conference and transfers, but it was really good. I received so much guidance and lots of inspiration which will be wonderful to help me through this last transfer!
Tuesday all of our appointments ended up falling through so literally we walked Manteo all day and just talked to people outside. It was good. We ended up finding a less active member! We knocked Franck's door and were trying to find him but then this less active opens the door. He proceeds to talk to us, tells us he was baptized in Peru when he was about ten but fell away due to gospel things he didn't understand (like proxy baptisms, pologamy, etc). We then took the time to clear those things up with him and he was like 'wow, this all makes sense!' We got his information and are planning on meeting up again with him this week to help him with other questions he has.
We also found a really great potential investigator. His name is Antonio. He was outside mowing his lawn and yes, definitely stopped him and talked to him. He was really grateful. He said he was going to come to church on Sunday, and we even explained general conference to him. We are going to see why he didn't come to church yesterday and also teach him this week sometime. :)

Wednesday we picked up our Greenie!
Hermana Earl and I rode with a member to Portsmouth to go to the Trainer's meeting. As we were a little early (45 minutes... haha. the member thought it wa a different building!). We were waiting when all the greenies showed up and considering only two 'sisters' came in it was really easy to figure out that Hermana Limb was ours (she was the only Spanish missionary that came in!). It was fun!
She is from Idaho. She is 19 and is just super sweet and enthusiastic about the work. She is embracing Spanish for all it's worth.
It makes me a little sad that I will only be here for half of her training but I know that Hermana Earl will finish her training well. It will be interesting being in a trio and training. haha. But it is working fine.

We did take her to teach a lesson her first night. We visited with Jasmine and taught the restoration to her in it's fullness. It was INCREDIBLE! Jasmine was feeling the spirit so strong. . things were just clicking in her head. I was impressed. Then Hermana Limb even extended the baptismal question! TWICE! She said she didn't know the first time then we talked more about baptism and what it entails then she re-extended it! Although Jasmine didn't say yes, we have her praying about the idea. She was nervous to tell her parents, especially her mom because tey are all very catholic. But we told her it would be the best decision she ever makes.

The highlight of the week was of course General Conference!
We had the chance to listen to a PROPHET of god... yes, mind blown!
It was truly incredible. 
It broke my heart a little to hear those people yell 'oppose' during the second session. But it just made me truly realize that we have to be truly converted to the gospel of Christ. Christ established the church through prophets and apostles. We have a living day prophet and apostles. They speak the words of God the Father and Jesus Christ, why would we oppose them? It is only if our hearts are hardened against the guidance and counsel they are giving us.

I know that the words and talks shared this last conference were inspired. I hope yall take the time to study them out in your hearts and minds. Read them... re read them. I know you will receive answers to prayers... I DID!

Some of the talks I especially enjoyed this last conference were those of Brent H. Nielson (prodigal son),Jeffrey R.  Holland, D. Todd Christofferson, David A. Bednar, Boyd. K. Packer, and Henry B. Eyring. . .
Just to name a few!

I love yall!
Hope you have an excellent week!

As always,
Hermana Gray







elder Terril

Our zone leaders...haha





me with the Elders, who are also from Lehi.  Whoot Whoot... go district












No comments:

Post a Comment