Monday, December 1, 2014

I am grateful for......

A white start to the Christmas season! 

Family and Friends,
This week I had the chance to reflect a lot on Gratitude... the gift of gratitude is something that we all can be a little better at. Remembering how much God loves us and all the wonderful blessings that are bestowed upon us each and everyday! 
During this holiday season the church is doing a promotion called "He is the Gift", part of this promotion includes a beautiful video that was created to remind us of the true meaning of Christmas. I invite all of you to visit christmas.mormon.org and view the video and have the courage to #sharethegift It is something that everyone needs a little reminding of during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. 

This week I am first off grateful for the chance I had to see two worthy men enter into the waters of baptism, accepting the gift. Eduardo and Fernando were baptized on Saturday night. After a crazy start to this week it was a true Joy to see them enter into the waters of baptism. They both were truly happy to enter into this covenant with their Heavenly Father. 
Monday night came and we were still unsure of weather or not they could be baptized. We painfully waited in the relief Society room as they received their interviews and we got the okay for baptism! Then sent into commotion preparing for a baptism the week of Thanksgiving. With the help of the ward we threw together a beautiful meeting. 

They both were a little nervous when they entered the font. . the font that we had just cleaned that morning. haha. The three of us fought spider webs, spiders, and a stinky smell to clean the font, and filled it with some warm water for them. :) They both were so happy to step foot in. You could tell they were nervous but as tehy came out of the water they were so happy! I could see the joy in their eyes. 

Their testimonies were so powerful. They bore them right after they were baptized. Fernando talked about how he was experiencing mixed emotions because his family wasn't here to be a part of it, but that he was joyous at the same time because he knew this decision was correct. 
Eduardo bore a powerful testimony about his conversion. It has taken him a little over three years to accept the gospel. He told of how he had the chance to be baptized three years ago but didn't accept it. Then how now when we visited him agian.. he knew this was the will and way of God. It was really wonderful! 
He also spoke of the missionaries who found him. I received a really great email from my dad this week about the efforts of a missionary. I have to agree with you... I have been lucky enough to see some of the fruits of my labors. I can't imagine not seeing any fruits. I am so grateful though for the many seeds I am planting. With this baptism it was really neat because our dear Brother Kelly kept in contact with the same missionaries who taught Eduardo and so they were sent pictures of the baptism and also they talked to people at the baptism. It was really neat. 

I have heard some other exciting fruits! =)
I'll begin with going to the mission home to explain all the fruits. I had the chance to see my trainer, Hermana Nord, and give her a hug! She is so gorgeous and she was so happy! You can tell she was super excited and nervous to see her family again! I can't believe time has flown and she is now back in Utah! CRAZY! =)
 It was really sad to say goodbye to sister Bassett also! I will miss that sloth mole! She is a hoot and I just love her. I was happy to hear from her today in emails! :)

But seeing as we were at the mission home we had the chance to run into other missionaries who I have served with! I also got a few updates!!! Whoot whoot! That is the best!! :) 

First off... NICO was baptized!!!! 
I taught him in VA Beach. He is a great kid! I am so happy for him. It took him a while to accept it but overall he did and he enjoyed it. Jay didn't... he ended up going back to his country. :/
I also heard that Jose, our ward mission leader in VA Beach, is on a mission!!! He left on November 6 (same day as me... weird right?) to LA California, Spanish speaking. He is going to rock it in the mission field! I am sure he just is changing so many lives! I am glad he decided to serve, he is being a wonderful example to his family who aren't members of the church. I know he was getting some slack but I think now that he is out he is happy! :)

This week we also became a TRIO!!!!
We received our little Mexican Firecracker this week! The Hermana Valdez! She is a HOOT!!! I seriously have just been LAUGHING like a crazy woman.... it has been crazy! I love it though! We are going to have a blast this transfer... It know both of my companions are still in shock that they are on the count down... literally thirty something days is all they have left of 18 months. NUTS! I still think it is weird that that day will come for me one day. .

But with our little firecracker, she brought the news that 
Jesus Miriam and Natasha are planning on being sealed in MAY!!!! =) 
I am super excited for them! Hopefully I can come back out and see it (weird.... I won't be here!) But they are planning to get sealed I think the 23?? I am super happy for them though! They are just on fire! 

This week was fun! 
we said goodbye to Hna Chinchilla. She is going to El Salvador for about four months. So we went and read with her. We also taught the Sisters investigators Melanie and Sky when we were in a trio with Sister Carlson. :) We ate some DELICIOUS seafood this week. . monday we had a feast of crab, clams, sausage, and shrimps! So good! The Parkers treated us well. It does help that basically half the ward does fishing and crabbing for their living. :) Delicious. Then the Bryants took us to  Sam and Omie's this really popular restaurant here and I also got some spicy shrimp. Super delicious! I love Seafood! :) They also bought us a sweet Tshirt! I was so happy! :)

Thanksgiving was super fun! Just a crazy day... 
We played in the Turkey Bowl! We were playing with the men but they got a little too competitive so we made our own little side game. haha. 
Imagine five sister missionaries vs. the little children. Bring it! We ended up picking up some recruits too. Eduardo and Fernando joined us then we also had a few of the adults come and join in. We played hard core. The little kids were making me laugh. Katie was being my little buddy and we were playing how the 'real football players play'. It was hilarious! I also accidentally tackled Fernando. haha. I am a little intense... two hand touch turns into tackle football. Whoops! :) 

In between the turkey bowl and the game we chilled at the house and watched Ephraim's Rescue. I have seen that movie so much... it's a little ridiculous! But it is basically one of the only movies approved. Although 17 miracles just was approved! Whoot whoot! Change of movies for once... now we just need to find someone who let us borrow it. :) But we chilled at the house, Hna Valdez took a nap. I wrapped all yalls Christmas presents! and got my hilarious Christmas card ready to send out. :) Yall get a good laugh at them! :) I am excited. 
The Jacobson's had us over for dinner! It was super delicious! The conversation was good, and we just enjoyed ourselves. 
Surprisingly my favorite dish was the YAMS! I am obsessed.... I think something happened to me on my mission because I am obsessed with yams. haha. I love them so much. I hated yams before the mission so I don't know what has happened to me. But these were super delicious. . they were like mashed potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallows... they were heavenly. :) haha. But the food was wonderful! We were so stuffed we had to take the pie home for dessert.. couldn't even eat it there. :)

This week was incredible! I have seen so many miracles. 
We had a really great district meeting on sharing the gift of Christmas. Explaining a little more about the promotion and what not. The church is buying out youtube's main page on December 7th! super neat.. and Times Square will have some advertisement and what not also! 
I hope you all have the chance to watch the He is the Gift video. Share it with those aroudn you. I know that you will have someone come to mind of who you can share this special message with. Christ has given us everything. He has changed our lives for the better.. He is the GIFT! Share the Gift! 

I hope you all have a wonderful week! I know this gospel is true. I am grateful for the chance I have to share the true message of the restored gospel each and every day! Time is flying... I am having a blast, I love my companionship! The three of us will do some domination this holiday season! =)

Remember the true meaning of Christmas... 
Love you,
Hermana Gray


p.s. Mama Dearest... I will be sending a package home this week (hopefully...or next). Everything is wrapped with names on it. :) I hope you enjoy it. I also am throwing in some stickers and maps, the baptismal program and stuff for the scrapbook. LOVE YOU! I am sending stuff for the married's too in it... I just figured I'd make you stick it in with some of your Christmas stuff for them. :) Tiff.... the 'stuff' will also be in the box wrapped. =) You'll know what it is. Thanks again!


goodbye Hermana Nord and Sister Bassett


Starting off the season right, dressed in white

Hma Chinchilla



No comments:

Post a Comment