Monday, October 6, 2014

General Conference, Transfers, and a Sunrise!

Hello dearest family and friends!
Once again this week has FLOWN! I think mostly because there was just so much exciting things happening! no joke! We had so much things to do as missionaries! I LOVE being busy as a missionary... helps time to just fly by. =)
This week we had a couple of really neat opportunities.
Tuesday we drove to Manteo and spent the day teaching there. We had English class which was a BLAST as always. I think that is one of the highlights of my week. Always having the time to joke around a little with them, they make fun of my Spanish, me their English. It just works. Overall we just learn. haha. =)
We also met Luis! We had a really great lesson with him. He happens to work at Spencer Yahts where we teach English! He is super incredible and has SO MUCH potential. We talked a lot of just what we as missionaries do and shared a lot of the atonement of Christ with him! It was really great. He also told us how he was a drug addict for a lot of his life, he wound up in jail and the sunday he got released he decided to go to church. Basically that God changed his life around. It was really neat. Then his friends had invited him to go to the beach that next weekend and he declined because they were going to be drinking and doing drugs and what not and he had decided to quit. That weekend all his friends overdosed. He was telling us how powerful of a life changer that was for him. He knew God had preserved his life for a greater purpose. It was really a great lesson. We have a return appointment with him this week.
Wednesday was a WONDERFUL day! Not a lot was accomplished missionary wise, but we had lots of fun! We drove to Portsmouth because we had the chance to see a 'sneak preview' of "MEET THE MORMONS" that is coming to theaters! =)
WATCH IT!!!!
I was super excited to see it. At first, when it started I was all nervous.... haha. Not another documentary and it starts out a little cheesy and what not (I feel like most lds films do). But it was super incredible!
I thought it was really neat that all the profit from this film is donated to charity. It gives a pretty good look into life as a Mormon. I really enjoyed the 'candy bomber' and also 'the coach' and of course the 'missionary mom'. =) I know you will all enjoy it too!
Seriously though, it is so wonderful, please watch it. =) I think it might even move mom to tears during the missionary mom. ;) (she misses me what can I say?!?)

General conference was WONDERFUL!!! I hope you all took the time to listen to the living day prophets and apostles! Since I obviously can't reenact all my thoughts and what not for you, I'll just give a few 'lines' that I LOVED from the apostles. I know that their messages were so inspired from God. They really spoke to the individual, conference was a personal thing. That is why I love it! The same talk answers so many different questions! =)
'somebody must pay for this terrible wrong... somebody already did!' -in boyd k. packers talk
'each individual is important to the body of the church. Each serves as a testimony of Christ. We need each of us to succeed.' -packer
'Christ died to offer repentance. Acting to repent is a self-willed change.'- d. todd christofferson
'a god who makes no demands is a god who does not exist.' -christofferson
'to love others as he loves us is our greatest challenge.' -dallin h. oaks
'you may question the news, but you need NOT question the prophets of god.'-neil l. Andersen.
'her determination to see us improve change my life' -tad r. callister
'parents are the prime example to the children' tad r. callister
'acknowledge and face your weaknesses but don't let them over run you.' -klebingat
'are we being the one drop in the ocean?' -Holland
'most powerful influence will come from mothers and fathers.' -l tom perry
'the revelation of a parent has a lasting effect on the personal revelation of the child.'- eyring
'we choose to follow the prophet.' -carol f. mcconkie
'decisions determine destiny' -Thomas s monsoon
'life is to grow from the challenges' -scott
'don't get distracted by unimportant things'- allan f packer
'love of chirst is needed to become aware of those around us.' -Martinez
'absolute truth exists!' -David A bednar

as you can tell... these were all just a FEW LINES that I received during conference. I know so much that our apostles and prophets are inspired of God. For those of you that didn't watch conference, take the time to watch it online. It is worth it! For those of you who did.. ACT on those promptings you received. I know it will bless your life.

Conference brought some unique challenges to us in-between sessions. We had only a short two hours to preach the gospel.
Saturdays we are doing a 'walk and talk' as a mission where we only walk and do street contacting. We were out in between sessions and earlier in the week I had thought we needed to walk this specific road. So we of course are out walking and no one is outside. Then we walk pas this house and there is a guy but he is literally UNDER his car working on it... so I am like, that is awkward no. so we keep walking and we come to either keep going straight or turn right. Then Hermana Harrison asks me which way we should go. I felt impressed that we needed to go back because the guy under the car is going to be Hispanic. haha.
So I say this. We go back and meet Camito, nephtali, and Marlon. It was a really wonderful experience and a direct answer to prayers. They all have so much potential and interest in the gospel. Camito's grandmother is actually a member in Honduras. so that was really neat. But it was so inspiring to know the lord is preparing those for a SPECIFIC time and place. I know that it was inspiration that we were meant to talk to them. Even if that is the only chance we have, at least we could testify of our savior. =)

We also received a transfer call sunday in between sessions. Our companionship was short lived, but I learned SO MUCH in such a short time. Mostly about myself. It was definitely a transfer of self evaluation and knowing that there is so much I have to improve on in life. But I can only work on One imperfection at a time. =)
Hermana Johnson will be my new companion! I will be staying here in Nagshead!
I am super excited and know we will have SO MUCH FUN!!! She is a hoot! I can't wait for the many more great memories we will create together! (and we totally called this! haha.).

I love you all so much! I know that we can all 'do a little better and be a little better'.
I love you! Hope you have a wonderful week!
Know I love and miss you, and one day I will return to you. ;)
Love,
Hermana Gray

Don't miss me too much on my birthday. ;) Don't forget to eat some delicious food (preferably, café rio, costa vida, zuppas, or something to that extent that I don't have here). I love you!

Hope to hear from you soon!


Wright Memorial




Biking








Sister Carlson who is like my twin.  We are thinking of maybe rooming together at school after the mission!  She is a cutie.  Glad she is staying here again so we can know each other better.



Dear sister Garvin who leaves us tomorrow


No comments:

Post a Comment